The International Maritime Organization’s (IMO) Long Range Identification and Tracking (LRIT) SOLAS V/19-1 Regulation requires:
- All passenger ships including high speed craft
- Cargo ships of 300 gross tonnage and above
- Mobile offshore drilling units
to automatically transmit every 6 hours the following LRIT information:
- Identify of the ship
- The position of the ship (latitude and longitude)
- The date and time of the position provided
Ship owners requirements:
- To equip their ships with LRIT compliant terminals.
- To have their LRIT terminal tested by an authorized testing ASP
and obtain a Conformance Test Report (CTR).
- To carry the CTR on board at all times
- To maintain the ship borne equipment reporting at all times except in particular conditions
- To notify Flag if the ship will not be reporting for any length of time (Suspension)